Sunday 7 June 2009

Small world

One of the good things about expat life is that I get to meet a lot of new people almost on a daily basis. They come from all kinds of places and backgrounds and usually they all have a very interesting story to tell. Some leave quickly. Some of them stay for a while and I get to know them better. Some become my friends. Some remain acquaintances. In any case, I am glad they passed through my life. Obviously the downside about this is that at some point we have to say goodbye.

But sometimes the world proves to be small and I come across the same people in totally different places. The Argentinian doctor who treated me for kidney stones in Liberia was the same who signed me off for maternity leave in Madagascar. The donor I discussed ploughs with in Luanda ended up offering me breakfast in Antananarivo.

And today I met up with a Hungarian girl I worked with in Angola. We only met briefly there, long enough to like each other but too short to really stay in touch over the years. I am so grateful she is here. Beside the fact that we have the potential of becoming very good friends, she also allows me to speak my mother tongue and this is something I've been missing a lot since we've been here.

See, the world is so small... :-)

4 comments:

Darin Roberts said...

That wouldn't happen to be Eva would it?

angeltouch said...

It is too. :-)

Raul Schneider said...

The Argentinean doctor I'm guessing would be Dr. Ruben Rostan. He was my proffesor in Medical school (Surgery 5th year)Great person. I know Eva too...
Cheers,

Unknown said...

I worked with Dr Rostan in Sierra Leone 20 years ago. We were the two doctors of a 200 bed hospital. He taught me quite a bit of surgery during my 6 months ther switch him.