Wednesday 18 March 2009

It's Wednesday, I believe

I haven't posted for a few days, mainly because our internet was down again for several days in a row. It's TAF: the African factor.

We are following the news closely about the situation here. Every day seems to bring something new and not necessarily good. Aid workers have been abducted, then released; the ICC prosecutor wants to appeal because Mr Bashir hasn't been charged for genocide; Mr Bashir held a big rally stating that all foreign aid organisations should leave the country within a year. We are keeping our head low and waiting it out at this point.

Meanwhile, life goes on and it's business as usual. The kids started nursery with the Egyptian nuns across the street, four mornings a week. They seem to like it. Yesterday morning V and I hung out together until 11am, what a treat! First we went to get the car repaired at Mitsubishi and we had a coffee that the Hungarians would rightly call "black soup". It was dark, thick and almost chewable. But it was also very good, once we let it settle for a while. Then we had some "ful" for "breakfast" (10.30). It's a beans dish that can be prepared in a number of ways, ours was with cheese and really good. We also went to Universal Café at night. It's an Italian restaurant with really nice and rather expensive food.

Yesterday I attended my first Pilates class. Well... the class itself was really nice, but I needed to deal with the "expat woman / wife" crowd and had a hard time with that. I felt totally out of place and I really couldn't get a grip on the whole atmosphere. I also found it relatively expensive, 15 USD for a lesson?!?! It seems some ladies go there Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday and there is even a waiting list. My friend Juliet told me that I really needed to "get my foot in the door", in order to get a chance to secure myself a permanent place. I am still wondering IF I want to secure that place or not, but I'll go back next Tuesday and give it another go in any case.

And to finish this on a cheesy cross-cultural note, the other day we went to the supermarket (the "nicest" in town) and they had terrible Hungarian pop music playing. As Handsome Rob would say: UN-believable.

2 comments:

Ron Rollins said...

Oh, the ex-pats wife's club.

I remember them well. I'll leave out what I'm really thinking.

Ron Rollins said...

You're not writing!!!