Monday 30 March 2009

My husband loves me

The British left two painful gastronomic legacies here. First, the bread is bad (this was not my first choice of word). No offense to any Anglo-Saxon readers, but you have no idea about how to make proper bread. That packaged tasteless, soft, crunchless, zero-nutrition value, white thing that comes sliced in a plastic bag and that you need to toast to even get a chance to butter it without making a hole in it... well, that ain't no bread. Our options here breadwise are therefore pretty limited: we can get Lebanese bread (also wholewheat), the above-described British horror or we can buy some bread from O-Zone. It is not *quite* bread, but it's getting there. It comes in a couple of different formats and has wholewheat and cereal versions to it. It is still soft on the outside though. So if any baker would like to come here and make a contribution, he'd be more than welcome.

The second issue is about chocolate. Or rather: the lack thereof. People here doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference between candy bars and chocolate. And since candy bars are obviously cheaper (sugar and palm oil are clearly more affordable than cocoa and cocoa butter), they only sell candy bars. The closest we come to chocolate is Cadbury's. Gosh, it even pains me writing the name down. Don't get me wrong: it is not bad. It is just not chocolate. I've been drooling at the thought of 70% dark chocolate for days now. Or even milk chocolate. Maybe with whole nuts in it... Mmmmm... Nothing of the kind here. But my Mom is coming at the end of April and I'll make sure she takes some stocks with her. In the meantime, we came across some Ferrero Rochers. Not sure what it's called in other parts of the world. Technically, it's not really chocolate either. But it does taste good and it doesn't have this dull and sandy aftertaste that Cadbury does. So because my husband loves me so much, he got a box of them for me. A whole box. And a BIG box at that. And I've been smiling ever since.

1 comment:

Ron Rollins said...

Now that's sweet.