Tuesday 17 April 2012

The secret to a long life

Let me tell you what I am dreaming about. Or rather, let me show you:

This is the High Line park in New York, built on a historic freight rail line. I have never been there, but trust me, if I lived anywhere near, this would be my favourite hang-out place.


















Here in Khartoum we don't have anything like that. Not even close. Not even remotely similar. So when it comes to exercising, we have to use our imagination. Factor in the 40 degree heat and you'll need quite some brainstorming to come up with a plan. My previous attemps include (but are not limited to):

- sitting at home, blaming the weather and the dust and getting fat and out of shape
- yoga classes
- aerobics classes
- the Hash
- going running with my colleagues but I could never keep up with them, so that was short-lived
- more sitting at home feeling sorry for myself

Finally I zeroed in on the happily named Fit Yummy Mummy weightloss / exercise programme for busy moms. I also started horse riding back in September and nowadays I go twice a week, once for a lesson and then for a hack along the Nile on the weekend.

And my latest discovery is .... drum roll... the C25K programme. This cleverly designed running programme is based on intervals and is meant to get you from your couch to finish a 5 km run within 9 weeks. I am happy to report that I finished week 1 this morning and I am still alive, if barely...

I go running early in the morning (7.45am) to try and beat the heat. I get equipped with my sunglasses and iPod and off I go. The neighbourhood is slowly getting used to the crazy khawadja (foreigner) running down the dusty backroads. I still get stared at, but much less than the first day. The programme comes with awesome free soundtracks, totally mindless and studied to get you running at the right beat, I totally love it! And it is great to filter out any unwelcome comments from the peanut gallery.

But the one thing that really keeps me going is this gentleman just down on our street. He always wears a white jellabiya and he must be about 50 or 60 years old. I think he works as a guard for one of the houses. He doesn't speak English and my Arabic is limited, but everytime I run by, he gives me this huge toothless smile and a thumbs-up. How could I not feel motivated with such a cheer-on?

"The secret to a long and healthy life is to be stress-free. Be grateful for everything you have, stay away from people who are negative, stay smiling and keep running." Fauja Singh, 100 year old marathon runner




1 comment:

Ron Rollins said...

I decieded I was getting overweight and out of shape. So I started running and went every day for two months.

Until I tore a muscle in my leg and can barely walk.

I guess I can stop drinking beer or get fat.

Decisions, decisions.