Wednesday 13 May 2009

J'y suis, j'y reste

I liked this place from the moment we arrived. It's nothing fancy, really, and I usually don't know what to say when people ask me "So what is there to be done for fun in Khartoum?" but I like it the same. The weather is either too hot or too dusty or too dry or too windy or everything at the same time, but it doesn't bother me. Our place on the rooftop is a prime location to be woken up by airplanes taking off and various imams. It is also collecting dust and sand at a rate I've never seen before. It's on the third floor, no elevator and all the heat from the deck and from under the roof is focused in it. But we have a huge deck that is perfect for the kids to play, run, cruise, cycle, climb, slide and jump. It also came with a braai (bbq) and some plastic furniture that allow us to invite and entertain our friends easily. We are bound by Islamic decency rules when we go out and I am not especially keen wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts when it's 47 degrees out, but Islam also means that I can go out at any time of day or night without ever worrying for my safety or the safety of my kids. People drive like mad and you'd think that they are deprived even of the most basic self-preservation instinct, but accidents are rather rare and you can get anywhere with a rickshaw. As mentioned, not too much fun is to be had, unless you organise it yourself, but both local and international people are fantastic and spending time with them is the best thing. There are also a few lovely spots, such as O-Zone or the Soba horse farm that allow us to relax with the kids.

So, since we all like it here, we are settling in. E will start KICS in August and T will go to Gina's nursery. We just got confirmation that we can stay in our flat, there had been some speculation about the company terminating the lease for the building. I would have liked a garden, but here we have a 24h guard, a free generator, decent furniture, including kitchenware and appliances and a proper water filtering system. If we moved, we'd have to start from scratch to equip it all again and arrange for our own guard and generator. I'm not really keen.

I also found a job, starting mid-August. I'll be working for a humanitarian organisation doing human resources. I am really looking forward going back to work, actually much more than I expected. It's a five-days a week job (here it's usually 6), with at least 6 weeks off per year, possibly 8. It's a Christian organisation, so that's also a bonus. I'll still get to spend some time with the kids and they'll also get to do their "own" thing in school and nursery. I really can't wait.

So, it looks like we're in here for the long run. I finally accepted that I want to be a full-time expatriate. I am sick and tired of going back to Switzerland and also to be asked (mainly by family): "So, when are you coming home?" Home is here now. Or wherever else we decide to transfer in the future. But as long as my kids are provided with quality education, I don't see the point of going back. And by the time they need to go to university, they can go on their own. For the time being I have no craving whatsoever to go back to the "civilised" world. Holidays and breaks are sure lovely. But I like it here.

2 comments:

Ron Rollins said...

Woo hoo!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I lived in the sudan i 1970 to 1972....made the best friends there than ever.....would like to go back someday....wonderful people....however our ambassador s were assasinated ther in 1973
....my email is jjones@moscow.com.....would love to hear from somebody from my past gloria el bouschi was our nurse at the inrerest section
1691