Monday 18 May 2009

The shopping list

We're headed back to civilisation in one month time and I am trying to figure out what we'll need to take back with us. These are trivial matters, I know, but since shopping here is either impossible or outrageously expensive, I need to do a bit of thinking ahead. My husband would think that this is useless, but that's because he can live with one pair of shoes for five years and believes that we should all do the same. I am thinking of ordering a number of things on the internet, mainly because the in-laws live in the bush about two hours drive from the closest mall. We've got KLM tickets that are based on a piece concept, meaning that in total and between the four of us, we can bring back a whopping 184 kg load. That should accomodate a number of books, dvds, shoes, clothes and other goodies. So, what do we need? ("Need" being defined somewhat loosely, I'll concede.) School clothes for E, including pants, socks, shoes and trainers, all according to school standards, the rest of his uniform is bought directly from the school. Normal clothes and shoes for both kids, with increasing sizes, making sure they last another year. Clothes and shoes for me, maybe for hubs as well. Books, books and books. I am craving to read here, and I am working my way through our limited library here. Maybe some new DVDs, since we still don't have TV and we can recite by heart all our movies. What else? Small goodies that make life more fun, some food items, chocolate, cheese and dried meat.

I know that the holidays are mainly about seeing people. But when you come from a place like this, it's also about recharging your other kind of batteries. Seeing green scenery. Eating nice food. Wearing nice clothes. Aimlessly stroll around a mall for hours, just looking at all the beautiful and / or useless stuff available.

Ya know, just BE, in a different context.

1 comment:

Ron Rollins said...

Oh, those good old days of the shopping trips.

People staring at you because you've bough 6 pairs of shoes, 30 DVD's, 20 books, and everything else by the crate.

Yeah, that was fun.