Tuesday 19 May 2009

The news and me

I don't write much about the political and humanitarian situation here. I got actually told that it seems that we're living in some kind of a tower, far off from local realities. In a way, that's very possible. Right now most of my time is spent with the kids or household chores. I do read BBC and reliefweb news with a special focus on Sudan, but I do feel a bit out of the loop. Most "insider" information only goes around in NGO/UN circles, and right now I am not privy. We don't have TV, so I can't sit down and watch the news, I have to actively look for the information on the web. With all the junk out there, it's hard to know what's going on exactly. To give you a taste of it, here is the top ten most read articles on BBC News this morning:

1. Sri Lanka leader hails 'victory'
2. Have you heard 'the Hum'?
3. Jumper survives 6,000ft free fall
4. Boy aged 12 did not father baby
5. Ethiopia troops 'back in Somalia'
6. Asian leaders condemn Burma trial
7. How Borat hoaxed America
8. Zuma minister pressed on Mercedes
9. Cab driver sex victims to sue
10. Rumsfeld 'Bible texts' criticised

I mean, c'mon, how are you supposed to get any value info out of THIS?!?!

I also don't speak Arabic (courses start in August, can't wait!!!), so local newspapers are out of my reach and so are conversations with local people. Not that I meet many of them, mind you. But then again, that's a function of my current occupation: full time mom and housewife, spending most of my time walled up in my flat.

This is one of the reasons I am really looking forward to going back to work. Meeting people, getting into the flow of events, knowing what's going on and simply getting out on the street to see for myself.

Only three months to go. :-)

No comments: