Wednesday 20 May 2009

Shopping local

I went shopping this afternoon to the "best" supermarket in town. Even the smallest Migros (Swiss supermarket chain) would make it blush in comparison, but hey, you take what you can get, right?

Here is what I paid in Sudanese pounds:

2 kg cat food: 90
Tabasco: 8.50
4 pots of yogurt: 4
Green beans: 6
Grated mozzarella 250g: 9.30
2l milk: 8
1l yogurt drink: 3.50
Banana: 1.60
Grapes: 10.90
Bell peppers: 4.10
Apples: 8.45
Lemons: 1
Candy bar: 4
Kiwis: 9
Kellogg's Fruit'n'Fibre: 19.50
Marmite: 20
Olive oil 750ml: 17.50
Seran wrap: 5
Ariel 4kg: 40
Grape juice: 7
Berry juice: 7
Butter 450g: 10
Herbal tea: 5
2 l tomato juice: 13
2 l apple juice: 13
Plastic cups: 30

That's 355.35 SDG in total.

Or 178 Swiss franks.

In Switzerland, it would have cost me about 140 Swiss franks (based on www.leshop.ch, known to be rather more expensive than buying the stuff in a normal supermarket)

That's almost 30% more.

Don't come and tell me that Switzerland is expensive.

7 comments:

Ron Rollins said...

How is it compared to Luanda?

I always shopped at Jumbos's, so it didn't seem that expensive to me.

angeltouch said...

I think it is way more expensive than Jumbo used to be back then. Prices here are similar or higher than the Elf shop in Luanda (don't know if you've ever been there). I also used to do most my shopping at Jumbo or other local shops, so it was ok.

Ron Rollins said...

I went to ELF a couple of times, bu they didn't have enough of a variety for me. And it was too expenseive.

I shopped at Intermarked a lot, but that might have been after you left.

angeltouch said...

Yeah, went to Intermarket too from time to time, but it was the far end of town for me, unless I had to do something at WFP. I am trying hard to remember where I got my veggies from, but I think it was mainly from the street. Wasn't there some SA store somewhere too? You'll note that I didn't do that much shopping altogether. Lunch was provided by the office, most nights I had supper with the Balmoral guys and the other nights some unsuspecting and hopeful male would usually invite me out. So my food budget was close to zero.

Ron Rollins said...

Yeah, there was a SA store, and I know where it was, but it's hard to describe. It was between the airport road and the bus station, down a side street.

No parking, so I hardly ever went. It wasn't worth the walk.

Ron Rollins said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
angeltouch said...

There was a bus station??? Geez, I really can't remember these things anymore. Mind you I'd probably still find my way around quite easily, I drove a lot on my own when I was there.